Sonic Identity is an online Artist Development Program created by Kate Ellwanger (Dot of TeamSupreme and Unspeakable Records) to guide producers, songwriters, and musicians of all backgrounds on a journey of discovering their unique sound as they create an EP during the course.
While many schools and online tutorials teach the technical aspects of using a DAW or producing music, this program is designed to go beyond the basic "How To's" and prepare students for creative and financial success through their music. It is Ellwanger's mission to help artists from all over the world hone their strengths and discover what sets them apart from everyone else making music in the digital age.
May 1st - June 9th 2017
- Complete a cohesive body of work (EP or album) with the support of Dot and fellow artists in the program
- Discover your personal strengths and bring out your unique sound as an artist/producer
- Build a following, explore new ways of releasing music in the digital age, and generate income as an artist
- Identify and address any fears or self-doubts that may be blocking your creative output or fullest expression
- Complete challenges and exercises that push you outside of your comfort zone and stretch your ideas
- Develop good workflow practices that align with your personality type
- Create a lifestyle and healthy work habits to support your music
- Weekly 60-minute group calls
- Exercises, meditations, and homework assignments to be completed each week
- Online support and feedback from Dot and fellow artists in the group
- Daily check-ins and accountability via the Facebook group
- One 45-minute private coaching session with Dot
- Email access to Dot with 48-hr response time (M-F)
- List of additional reading and resources to accompany the program
"Sonic Identity has provided me all the support and direction I need to develop into the independent and multi-faceted artist I knew I could be - with so much more awareness and attunement to my exalted self than I could have done on my own! Kate is a dream to learn from; she’s walking this same pioneering path of artist and producer, and this course provides insight into her unique personal process of music making.
The sonic challenges and reflection exercises Kate assigns make me dive deep into the wells of my being to find the purpose underlying every choice I make, sonically or otherwise. Creating music from this place of self-reflection and inquiry has yielded the best, most exploratory and intentional music beyond anything I could have imagined. I’m so proud of myself and the work I’ve created within this course. Though the course doesn’t specifically cover the technical side of music production, I’ve been able to hone my production, processing, mixing, and mastering by creating new projects each week. Before the course started, I didn’t even know how to pan sounds within the stereo scape, and now I am confident in leading and managing sessions where I collaborate with another artist or producer. I can do anything now!"
- Kelleia, Season 1 Participant (@kelleiamusic)
Application Deadline: March 31st (priority will be given to early applications)
Program fee: $1100*
*payment plans available
About the instructor:
Dot (Kate Ellwanger) is a producer, vocalist, and multi-instrumentalist based in Los Angeles. She is a member of beat-collective TeamSupreme, founder of Unspeakable Records, and has taught music production and composition at critically-acclaimed institutions including The Los Angeles Recording School, Dubspot, Point Blank, and Garnish. Learn more